SSH is a secure way to connect to your hosting package. It is a better alternative to FTP. In this article we explain how you make a connection using an SSH key.
Also read: Make an SSH connection via your computer (with Terminal on Mac or Putty on Windows).
IN THIS ARTICLE:
Step 1: Create your SSH key
To use SSH, you need your own SSH key. You create it via your own computer. How to do this is explained below.
Follow these steps to create an SSH key with PuTTY:
- You can download a PuTTY private / public key generator at this address .
- Run the downloaded file.
- Click on the Generate button.
- To generate even more randomness, move your cursor over the blank area.
- Enter a password and confirm again.
- Click Save private key and Save public key, and save the files in a place of your choice.
- You must configure the private key in your SSH client. In PuTTy you do that from SSH> Auth.
- You can copy the public key directly from the generator window. You will find it at the top of the field under the text “Public key for pasting into OpenSSH authorized_keys file”.
Follow these steps to create an SSH key in MacOS:
- Open “Terminal” and enter the following command to generate a new SSH key:
ssh-keygen -t rsa
- When the message “Enter file in which to save the key” appears, simply click “Enter” to save it in the suggested folder.
- Terminal will ask you for a password for your SSH key. Choose a strong password. Your computer will request this every time you connect via SSH.
- Confirm your password and you have created an SSH key.
Follow these steps to copy your SSH key to your clipboard:
- Open “Terminal” and enter the following command to list the SSH keys in your .ssh folder:
ls -lh ~ / .ssh
- Run the following command to copy the SSH key to your clipboard:
pbcopy <~ / .ssh / id_rsa.pub
Step 2: Enter your SSH key on the control panel
Follow these steps in the control panel:
- Go to “My products”> “Web hosting”> Your domain name.
- In the menu on the left you choose “SSH”.
- Switch on “Activate SSH” so that you can connect.
- Select the “SSH keys” tab to enter your SSH key.
- Paste your SSH key and click on “Add”. The SSH key is now active.
- Go to “My products”> “Web hosting”> Click on “Manage” next to your domain name.
- On your left, click on “FTP & SSH”. That will expand into two separate menus. Now, click on “SSH”
- Scroll all the way down and click on the link “Add your first SSH key” or just click on “+ Add”.
- Here, you can add a new SSH key, or assign a key you already have in your hosting package.
- Either way, finalize by click on the button “Add SSH key”.