With Microsoft 365 (Office 365), you and your collaborators can work from anywhere, and documents are available everywhere thanks to OneDrive. Here is how you can get started.
You can also read: Getting started with your Microsoft 365 mailbox
IN THIS ARTICLE:
- Getting your Microsoft 365 environment ready for use
- Logging in to Microsoft 365
- Changing your personal Microsoft 365 settings
- Set up your Microsoft 365 mailbox
- Working with Microsoft 365 apps
Getting your Microsoft 365 environment ready for use
Step 1: Logging in to your Microsoft 365 account
After placing your order, we will send you an e-mail to confirm your subscription and to provide you with your login details. The login will look like email@example.com. Here is how you can log in:
- Go to https://portal.office.com/and log in using your login and password
- You will be asked to update the password to your own password. Choose a strong password and enter it.
- You will not see any apps in your admin center at this point. To change this, you first need to create users and assign licenses.
Step 2: Linking your domain to your Microsoft 365 account
By default, you are now logged in with an e-mail address (firstname.lastname@example.org). You can continue to use that login, and add your domain name later on. However, we recommend that you link your domain immediately, before creating users. Because otherwise, they will also be created on yourcompany.onmicrosoft.com instead of your domain. And, of course, you want to work using e-mail addresses based on your own domain!
Follow the instructions provided in this article: “Link your domain name to Microsoft 365”
Step 3: Creating users in Microsoft 365
The next step involves creating users: an account for yourself, and possibly also accounts for your collaborators. For detailed instructions on how to do this, please read Creating users in Microsoft 365.
Logging in to Microsoft 365
After you have created an account for your collaborators and yourself as a user, you will be able to log in as a user:
- Go to https://portal.microsoft.com
- Log in using your login details as a regular user
- Add this page to your bookmarks in your browser. This way, you will always have this address at hand.
Changing your personal Microsoft 365 settings
In your control panel, you can set your personal preferences and find information about the license and permissions you have. There are some settings you may want to change. For example, you can:
Set up your Microsoft 365 mailbox
All Microsoft 365 (Office 365) packages (both Business and Enterprise) include Exchange e-mail. Your primary e-mail account has already been created in your Microsoft 365 package, based on the e-mail address you provided when ordering the package.
Using the web version of Outlook
The web version of Outlook allows you to check your e-mails, contacts, tasks and calendar. There are two ways to open Outlook online.
Here is how you can open the online version of Outlook:
- Go to your web portal https://portal.office.com and click on the “Outlook” block
- Or: go directly to your e-mail via https://outlook.office.com
Your e-mail account is ready!
Download the Outlook app to all your devices
If you opted for a Combell package that also allows you to download the Microsoft apps to your own device, you can also install the Outlook app on your PC, Mac or mobile device. You can also read: Working with Outlook on your desktop or mobile device.
Set up your Microsoft 365 Exchange mailbox on all your devices
With most devices and apps, the e-mail settings of your Office Exchange account will be retrieved automatically. If this is not the case, you can enter the settings manually.
Please read our guide to set up your Microsoft 365 mailbox on all your devices (including a guide for Outlook for Windows, Mac and mobile devices).
Working with Microsoft 365 apps
When you log in to your Microsoft 365 environment, you can edit documents online. Depending on your chosen package, you will also be able to download the Microsoft applications to work offline.
Working online with Microsoft 365 apps
All the files you save in Microsoft 365 can be edited online. This includes documents that you have created yourself using, for example, Word or Excel, but also documents that you have saved in one of your Team sites, your SharePoint environment or OneDrive. Or documents that you have received as attachments to e-mails.
Here is how you can create a Word document, for example:
- Go to https://portal.office.com/ and log in
- Click “OneDrive” > “New”
- Select “Word document”. Word Online will now open for you, allowing you to create and save a document.
Downloading the Microsoft 365 apps for your computer or Mac
If you want to be able to work offline with the Microsoft apps, you will of course need to download them first:
- Go to https://portal.office.com/and log in using your login details as a user
- You will now see an overview of all available Microsoft apps
- Click “Install Office” and follow the instructions
- Activate your license
- Open the app
- Log in using the details from your Microsoft 365 account.