With an SSL certificate you can switch your website from HTTP to secure HTTPS. Our hosting packages come with a free SSL certificate from Let’s Encrypt. Let’s Encrypt is available as standard on every newly ordered hosting package.
IN THIS ARTICLE
What is Let’s Encrypt and what is the advantage?
Let’s Encrypt is a security service that is supported by various large IT companies such as Google, Facebook, Cisco and Hewlett Packard Enterprise. This service offers free SSL certificates. The use of SSL (Secure Socket Layer) guarantees that your connection is secure when you visit a certain website. It ensures that the connection between the website and the user is encrypted while surfing.
The administrator of the website must provide such an SSL certificate, which makes the secure connection possible. Previously, this certificate had to be paid for.
Advantage of Let’s Encrypt?
- Better security. The connection between user and server is encrypted.
- No “unsafe” warning. Some browsers can give this warning to websites when they are not protected with SSL.
- A higher SEO ranking. Google has confirmed that an SSL condition plays a role in the ranking algorithm.
- HTTP/2 compatibility. With a website, protected via SSL, you can use the HTTP/2 protocol, so that your pages load faster and more efficiently.
Difference with a paying SSL certificate?
Premium SSL certificates offer extra benefits.
- The address bar of the browser provides additional feedback about the owner of the website. This creates more confidence. Some browsers even color the address bar green.
- The certificate is recognized by all browsers, including the older ones that are no longer supported by Let’s Encrypt.
- SSL providers validate information about the owner and the company, which further assures the user that the site is secure.
Activate Let’s Encrypt via the control panel
Is Let’s Encrypt not yet activated on your hosting package? Activate it for free via the control panel.
Follow these steps in the control panel:
- Go to “My products”> “Web hosting”> Your domain name.
- In the menu on the left you choose “Domain names & SSL”.
- On the right, click on “Manage website” and choose “SSL settings” in the dropdown.
- Click on “Enable Let’s Encrypt” and activate “Forcing HTTPS”. This change can take up to 15 minutes. Your website will then appear on HTTPS.